Stegdetect 0.4 released and results from USENET search available

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Sat Dec 29 11:19:45 EST 2001

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 jamesd at echeque.com wrote:

> I download all of alt.anonymous.messages from the same news
> server that large numbers of people post and download child
> porn on.

So the traffic analysis software has your link the first couple of days.
Now all they've got to do is black bag your computers text editors and
news readers...assuming they've got a motivation to expend the effort. The
next step is to compare messages you submit with messages others submit,
with respect to time not source/destination, once they've a correlation
they can then move to 'other' techniques (eg trap mail, phone taps, etc.).

> (Hey, I do not read anything in
> alt.anonymous messages, I am just generating cover traffic
> out of pure public spirit.)
>
> Thus there is no ongoing pattern.

Only because your 'cover traffic' isn't. If you wanted to help with cover
traffic then you'd be sending large quantities of bogus traffic to the
group daily.w But that would take a concerted commitment.

Cover traffic requires an interesting characteristic to be effective, one
that most don't 'get'; it must be full on all the time. The vast majority
of your expended effort is bogus.

The most effective cover traffic model is to send nothing but cover
traffic at your full bandwidth 24x365. Then randomly inject/replace cover
traffic with real traffic as it comes in.

ps I'm still working on your Chomsky claims...

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com