CFP: PKI research workshop

Scott Guthery SGuthery at mobile-mind.com
Fri Dec 28 17:33:47 EST 2001

1) SST = supersonic transport (see Concorde, see Concorde on
government life support, see Concorde in pretty orange and yellow.)
2) monorail = one rail, not elevated, or driver-less. The only
running monorail I know of is in Seattle; it was left over
after the 1962 Worlds Fair. All the airport people-movers I have
seen run on two rails or on a roadway.
3) Videophone != Webcam (see Picturephone)

See also magnetic bubbles, cold fusion, Charles Atlas and Ginger.

PKI is a great marketing gimmick. No doubt about it.  Put that
logo on your home page and all the hoi polloi feel warm and fuzzy.
Flashing neon signs work better than drab old hand-lettered ones.

But how much risk does it reduce?  What is the insurance
premium with it and what is it without it?  How much
underwriting is premised on PKI?  Is there one instance where
an insurance premium has been reduced by more than the cost of
the PKI implementation and the ongoing cost of its administration?

STP does a great business.  So does Mary Kay.  I don't knock 'em.
But I do understand what kind of oil they are.

Cheers, Scott