VISA: All Your Password Are Belong to Us

Enzo Michelangeli em at who.net
Thu Dec 6 21:16:50 EST 2001

One last comment, if the moderator allows. While in my opinion sensibly
designed, the "Verified by Visa" protocol does suffer from one important
weakness: if no client plugins are used, an attacker can manage to spoof an
Issuer ACS and trick the buyer into revealing his/her password. This could
be avoided by implementing zero-knowledge authentication methods inside
standard browsers and HTTP servers: something that could greatly benefit web
security also for other applications. Now that SRP-3 exists and is
relatively unencumbered, it would be very nice if W3C and IETF considered it
for addition to HTTP. Maybe something for the Mozilla and Apache teams to
consider pioneering?

Enzo