Another shining example of Microsoft "security".

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Apr 24 20:32:37 EDT 2001

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 03:31:21PM -0700, beldridg at best.com wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 05:11:21AM -0400, vertigo wrote:
> > > Pine has SSL patches?  :)  It's plain old pine within
> > > an SSH session for me.
> >
> > Yeah - they implement IMAP-over-SSL, with the aforementioned
> > limitation.

> i'd recommend using stunnel + fetchmail instead. i've got a short writeup
> at:

>   http://members.home.net/beldridg/imaps.htm

	I saw your page and I saw this remark there:

] My first idea was to use fetchmail [3] since it has hooks to use SSL
] for connnecitons; however, it doesn't send the client certificates
] correctly.  I posted a message to fetchmail-friends; however, esr
] indicated that the person who wrote the SSL code no longer used fetchmail.

	WTF???

	I'm the individual who wrote the SSL code for fetchmail.
I don't know why Eric would have made a statement like that since I
certainly continue to use fetchmail with the SSL code (yes it needs work
both in the client certificates and in the server cert validation, which it
also does not do correctly - it's been forever on my todo list).  I
also see Eric a couple of times a year (we both are perenial speakers
at LinuxWorld Expo) and I'll be seeing him again in August.  I'll have
to find out from him why he would say something like that.  You might
check back with him later after I get done beating the daylights out
of him for telling stories like that (and not checking with me first).  :-)

	I never saw your message to fetchmail-friends.  Could you bop
a copy my way please.  I'm just clearing my head above water on some
other projects and was planning on revisiting the fetchmail-ssl code.

> - brett

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/