Requesting feedback on patched RC4-variant

Matthijs van Duin matthijs at cds.nl
Mon Apr 23 17:25:04 EDT 2001

>Remember that the signal is being send using DSSS (Direct sequence
>spread spectrum, similar to CDMA digital phones) and the chances of
>an attacker being able to change just one bit, or a targeted
>selection of bits, in a message, is essentially zero.

Maybe a middle-man attack, when the base station and the client are
almost out of range?

>But you think that CBC mode of a (non-sucky) block cipher is
>adequate protection? Sigh.

I never suggested it was adequate. I was just wondering how much my
changes influence the security of the algorithm, especially in
relation to the bit-toggle problem.

  -xmath

PS I tried it today.. plain RC4 can excellently be executed manually
(base 52 or 26, instead of 256) using a deck of cards :-)

Matthijs van Duin
- PGP Key: 0xB6205CCB   <finger://PGPkey_DH@hmvd.cds.nl> -
- FP: D73C 9EE3 5F6B E5D5 8E19  2CBE 4648 8C3E B620 5CCB -