DCSB: Scott Moskowitz; Blue Spike -- Watermarking for Digital Commerce

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Apr 23 08:16:30 EDT 2001

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:13:04 -0400
To: dcsb at ai.mit.edu, dcsb-announce at ai.mit.edu
From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>
Subject: DCSB: Scott Moskowitz; Blue Spike -- Watermarking for Digital
 Commerce
Cc: Scott Moskowitz <scott at bluespike.com>, Jean Camp <Jean_Camp at harvard.edu>
Sender: bounce-dcsb at reservoir.com

[The Harvard Club is now "business casual". No more jackets and ties
- -- while it lasts, anyway... --RAH]

          The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

                        Presents
                     Scott Moskowitz,
                          CEO,
                       Blue Spike

            Digital Watermarking with Blue Spike

                 Tuesday, May 1st, 2001
                         12 - 2 PM
              The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                One Federal Street, Boston, MA

Digital watermarking technology has been proposed as a means to
ensure responsibility for images, audio and video content. This talk
will be a high level discussion on both the market and appropriate
application of digital watermarking techniques. The types of keys,
symmetric and asymmetric, used for encoding is equally important in
delivering security that is both easy to use and inexpensive to
maintain. We explore the trade-offs between digital watermark keys
given the needs of content creators, Internet service providers, and
media distributors. We also present over five years of results on
successful deployment of copyright protection solutions in a variety
of implementations and industry standardization debates (including
Blue Spike's work within SDMI). Last, we will offer some comments on
how digital watermarks will be used to assist in intangible asset
insurance and the optimization of network bandwidth.

Scott Moskowitz is Founder, President, and CEO of Blue Spike.

In 1992, Mr. Moskowitz began working in the music industry doing
representative work for a large US wholesaler of music-related
products. Mr. Moskowitz had previously founded a trading company
involved in the export of American music to Japan. Mr. Moskowitz has
gained experience in several other industries, including the
distribution of physical goods, primarily in Japanese markets. He
worked for Sony in 1990 and was responsible for designing initial
plans for the High Definition Televisionís market entry in the US and
worked on other related strategy work in Sonyís Monitor Group.

The idea for Blue Spike came about while still an undergraduate
following his experience at Sony Corporation in Japan. Mr. Moskowitz
sought to better define a means for protecting digital media content
such as music, video and images. He coined the definition for the
term "digital watermark" as a means for securely creating
"responsibility for digital copies" which led to the writing, filing
and receipt of 18 US and International patents, with many patents
pending.

Mr. Moskowitz has been active in promoting copyright security through
watermarking and has been an invited speaker at the RSA Data Security
Conference on several occasions, American National Standards
Institute (ANSI), Library of Congress Hearings on DMCA, Webnoize,
Financial Cryptography (FC), Edinburgh Financial Cryptography
Engineering conference, Computers, Freedom and Privacy (CFP), ACSAC,
Digital Distribution of the Music Industry (DDMI), College Music
Journal Convention, Museum of Modern Art, as well as other forums in
the US, Japan and Europe.

He is the author of "So this is Convergence?" which has sold over
4,000 copies in Japan, the only book of its kind on secure digital
watermarking. Mr. Moskowitz earned his Bachelor of Science degree in
Economics cum laude with a concentration in Finance, from The Wharton
School, and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and
Oriental Studies cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania. Mr.
Moskowitz is fluent in spoken and written Japanese and spent seven
years as a resident of Tokyo. He is a member of the Institute of
Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Association for
Computing Machinery (ACM) and The International Society for Optical
Engineering (SPIE) organizations.

This meeting of the Digital Commerce Society of Boston will be held
on Tuesday, May 1st, 2001, from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of
the Harvard Club of Boston, on One Federal Street. The price for
lunch is $35.00. This price includes lunch, room rental, A/V hardware
if necessary, and the speakers' lunch. The Harvard Club has relaxed
its dress code, which is now "business casual", meaning no sneakers
or jeans. Fair warning: since we purchase these luncheons in advance,
we will be unable to refund the price of your meal if the Club finds
you in violation of what's left of its dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or, if we
*really* know you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of
Boston", by Saturday, April 28th, or you won't be on the list for
lunch. Checks payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston
will have to be sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston,
Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they *must* be made payable to "The
Harvard Club of Boston", in the amount of $35.00. Please include your
e-mail address so that we can send you a confirmation

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements
(we've had to work with glacial A/P departments more than once, for
instance), please let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can
work something out.

Upcoming speakers for DCSB are:

TBA Jean Camp Trust and Digital Commerce

As you can see, :-), we are actively searching for future speakers.
If you are in Boston on the first Tuesday of the month, are a
principal in digital commerce, and would like to make a presentation
to the Society, please send e-mail to the DCSB Program Committee,
care of Robert Hettinga, <mailto: rah at shipwright.com>.

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA