[Cryptography] "Flip Feng Shui: Hammering a Needle in the Software Stack"

dj at deadhat.com dj at deadhat.com
Mon Sep 5 21:14:45 EDT 2016

> As layman I happen to know that there is a field in wireless
> communications named "physical layer security" which attempts with,
> among other means, certain ECCs to achieve information theoretic
> security. Could the works there eventually be relevant in the present
> context?

I've worked on several security protocols, both wired and wireless that
are widely used and each time they have been an add on to existing
protocols, so there were lots of compromises. It seems each time that if
they had decided to do security at the physical layer, it would have been
more secure and easier since it would be easy to obfuscate the carried
packet sizes, header contents and timing.

So if you are contemplating making a new mass market protocol with a
physical layer, please include the security protocol people in the
physical layer design.

DJ