[Cryptography] MSFT doesn't retain keys for its own German cloud

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Mar 15 22:20:50 EDT 2016

On 3/15/16 at 5:56 PM, leichter at lrw.com (Jerry Leichter) wrote:

>Of course, this is only relevant when the US (or, for that
>matter, the Germans) go through standard legal channels.  The
>spies get their access behind the scenes, and when operating
>outside of their own borders (let's close our eyes to the stuff
>within their own borders, shall we?) can do pretty much
>whatever they can get away with - which is pretty much anything.

The traditional way of handling these situations is to ask some
foreign agency to the collect the data, so it is operating
outside its own borders. The word on the street is that GCHQ and
NSA are good buddies with these arrangements. Of course, proof
that it happens is much harder to get.

Cheers - Bill