[Cryptography] The Crypto Pi

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sun Jan 4 14:32:30 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Jonathan Thornburg <jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 raindog wrote:
> >The R Pi runs a mass of closed-source, proprietary firmware that can never
> >be audited. You're loading this firmware into the kernel and trusting it

Given the project complexity of the layers that are not proprietary I think
the Raspberry-Pi
is a good place to start.    The latest Pi Model B+ with a micro-SD card
and four USB
ports should be here for a long time.  It is slow... 700MHz...
The Beaglebone Black is quicker at 1GHz.

At some point the closed source blobs will need to be addressed or another
more open platform used.

It is unlikely that any of those blobs have side doors in them today that
would know how to attack
the new code.    Keep todays binary blobs as a safety net.   The blobs may
have bugs
but that is another kettle of stink.

The price and tool kit is right... have at it.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l