[Cryptography] All dice are loaded?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Aug 11 02:27:54 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Lodewijk andré de la porte <l at odewijk.nl>
wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it is true on both levels. Bias means one outcome is more
> likely than the other. If a "property" is

For many entropy generation tools the issue is not that each face has an
equal
chance of coming up  the issue is that the dice generate a distribution of
results
that are not in conflict with the use.

The only place where it matters is the use where it does matter.
A simple dice game in Vegas has a house advantage built in.
In craps the odds at times are same for the house and player
but the vast majority of the time the odds are good for the house
and as long as the 1.41% pass/come odds do not shift too far
the house wins, etc.  Dice would have to be very bad for the house
odds to go negative enough to let  the player win enough to justify
walking in the door.
  http://wizardofodds.com/gambling/house-edge/

For cryptography it is important to know how much or how
little bias is needed to crack a code.     Cracking a code
in a billion years vs. 0.99 billion years is not likely to make
the method "week".    But simple errors in analysis or expectations
often collapse an impossible code into an inconvenience.
--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l