[Cryptography] The paranoid approach to crypto-plumbing

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Sep 17 20:27:52 EDT 2013

On 9/17/13 at 4:18 PM, leichter at lrw.com (Jerry Leichter) wrote:

>MAC'ing the actual data always seemed more "logical" to me, but
>once you look at the actual situation, it no longer seems like
>the right thing to do.

When I chose MAC then encrypt I was using the MAC to check the
crypto code. CRC would have worked too, but the MAC was free. (I
really don't trust my own code very much.)

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | The first thing you need when  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | using a perimeter defense is a | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | perimeter.                     | Los Gatos,
CA 95032