[Cryptography] Radioactive random numbers

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Sep 13 04:13:49 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 08:47:16AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> Another whacky idea...
>
> Given that there is One True Source of randomness to wit radioactive

What makes you think that e.g. breakdown oin a reverse biased
Zener diode is any less "true" random? Or thermal noise in a
crappy CMOS circuit?

In fact, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_random_number_generator#Physical_phenomena_with_quantum-random_properties
listens a lot of potential sources, some with a higher
rate and more private than others.