[Cryptography] Availability of plaintext/ciphertext pairs (was Re: In the face of "cooperative" end-points, PFS doesn't help)

Nemo nemo at self-evident.org
Tue Sep 10 12:43:58 EDT 2013

(I apologize this message is not correctly threaded. I only subscribed
to the list recently, and I have found no way to cannot construct a
proper In-reply-to header from messages in the archive.)

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

> And most of their interception is passive, they just listen - you
> generally need at least one plaintext/ciphertext pair to break a
> cipher and find a session key, and most often they don't have the
> plaintext, just the ciphertext.

I agree with everything you have said, except for this.

"GET / HTTP/1.1\r\n" is exactly 16 bytes, or one AES block. If the IV is
sent in the clear -- which it is -- that is one plaintext-ciphertext
pair right there for every HTTPS connection.

In fact, _any_ aligned 16 bytes of plaintext in the conversation that
are known, or that are in a guessable range, represent a
plaintext/ciphertext pair if either of the following are true:

    1) You sent the IV in the clear
    2) You used CBC mode

Of the modes I know (CBC, CTR, GCM, et. al.), the only one that does not
freely give up such plaintext/ciphertext pairs is OCB.

Of course, we assume our block ciphers are secure against even
astronomical numbers plaintext/ciphertext pairs, because any evidence to
the contrary would represent a publication-worthy if not Ph.D.-worthy
result.

But is it really such a good assumption against _this_ adversary?

It seems to me that the IV could easily be negotiated at the same time
as the session key. 2048-bit or 3072-bit RSA or DH already provide
enough bits, so you can have a secret IV, independent of the session
key, "for free". ECDH provides enough negotiated bits, too, once you are
in the 256+ bit range.

So, "avoid CBC" plus "negotiate the IV" seems like a simple way to stir
extra entropy into the encryption. It does nothing for any security
proofs, since those assume perfectly secure block ciphers... But it
might make somebody's job just a little bit harder in practice. And
since it would cost nothing, why not?

 - Nemo