[Cryptography] SafeWebdrop: An encrypted message exchange mechanism for the CryptoBone

Patrick Chkoreff pc at fexl.com
Fri Mar 31 08:58:08 EDT 2023

On 3/30/23 7:27 AM, Ralf Senderek wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I'd like to present SafeWebdrop, an encrypted message exchange mechanism
> for the CryptoBone, for constructive criticism. ...
Ralf:

That looks like very useful idea, building a solution as simply as
possible on capabilities already used for other purposes.

It seems to formalize and generalize a common practice where an
organization deploys its own internal messaging system on its servers,
avoiding the insecurity of email and the baggage of routing.  It reminds
me of qmail, but fully encrypted and on a single server.

I'd like to try it, but I don't see where to get the SafeWebdrop
scripts.  Did I miss something?

Right now I'm reviewing the protocol you describe[3], and familiarizing
myself with Ross Anderson's notation[4].  Thanks for that link -- I was
kind of noodling it out myself but the reference helps.

-- Patrick

3. https://swebdrop.com
4. https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/book.html