[Cryptography] Inspired by the question re disk encryption...

Robert L Wilson wilson at math.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 29 16:57:56 EDT 2023

I've been using old "real" rotating disks as well as SSDs now for
decades, both at home and in projects I used to be responsible for in
industry. A slightly related issue: For a couple of decades now, drives
have relied on firmware stored in rewriteable PROMs on the disk
controller. But rewriteable carries the risk that the wrong guy rewrites
it... I had some Seagate drives ruined when a virus rewrote that
microcode. I know very little about SSD technology but have no reason to
doubt it has the same vulnerability.

So I just want to ask what if any risks there are other than just
semi-random failure of SSDs. There is always the possibility that a
nasty cosmic ray breaks into your house and changes some crucial bits.
And chips, including the RAM chips making up an SSD, can be defective or
just get old, like chips anywhere. But are there additional ways SSDs
can die? I may need something else to worry about these days...

Bob Wilson