[Cryptography] Disk encryption

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Tue Mar 28 14:30:18 EDT 2023

I don't know much about the details of various disk encryption schemes,
but I have had a lot of experience with HDD's and SSD's.

In my experience, SSD's are now as reliable, if not more reliable, than
HDD's, and I've replaced most of my HDD's by SSD's.

The good news is that crypto itself has provided everyone with outstandingly
good error-detection codes (e.g., crypto hashes), so you're now much more
likely to know about storage errors today than even 10 years ago.

The part about not trusting SSD's has to do with the inability to guarantee
that deleted stuff is actually deleted, and cannot be magically recovered.

That is where encryption can help enormously.

*Always* encrypt SSD's, so that *erasure* really does work; just throw
away the private encryption key and the SSD will then contain useless
random bits.