[Cryptography] What do we call a signature over multiple pieces of data?

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Tue Feb 7 00:12:54 EST 2023

I am trying to work out what the name of the thing I am writing is.

OK so we have

Digital signature - base class

Multi-Signature - A single piece of data signed under multiple private
keys, all of which are required for the signature to be considered valid.

Quorum signature - A multi-signature where t of n sigs must be present

Threshold signature - A digital signature created from a private key split
into t of n shares.

Merkle Signatures, Tree Signatures, Lamport Signatures, all used to refer
to symmetric key based signatures.

What I have is a sequence of envelopes and a signature on the apex of a
Merkle tree and I am extracting a specific envelope and the apex signature
and the parts necessary to reconstruct the digest chain for that envelope.
What do we call such a signature that we haven't already used?

There are two cases,

Signature on envelope #42, signing envelope #10

Signature on envelope #42, signing envelope #10, #32, #40

The overall requirement is to provide a proof that document P was signed
After document X but before Document Y. Where X has been enrolled in a
Trusted external notary chain and Y incorporates an output from that chain.

So if I am trying to show that I collected a set of forensics data on a
particular date, documents X and Y probably involve a DoJ or NIST notary
chain, either directly or indirectly. If you run your own notary log, the
trusted party can be yourself (if you were active at the time with
sufficient granularity).

Interval Signature???