[Cryptography] Passwords (Smallest feasible work factor today?)

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Fri Sep 16 16:19:56 EDT 2022

>> I use a metal lockbox full of 3x5 cards as my password manager.  And when asked, I recommend it.
>
> Upgrade to a fire resistant box.
> You can cast plaster of paris around your box (box inside of a box).
> Use parchment paper to mate the upper and lower parts.  Drywall and
> construction adhesive work as well.   2x 3/4" drywall for garages is code,
> you want more but drywall fire resistance is nicely documented.
Neat idea.  I'd add another level, though:  If you do have a house fire, this thing could be hit with high-pressure water or end up submerged for a while.  You could end up with unburned ... paper mush.  A waterproof box inside it all - box within a box within a box - should protect you.  (Of course you could choose a waterproof inner box to begin with.)
                                                        -- Jerry