[Cryptography] Asymmetric encryption analogy (vault with 2 different locks)

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Sep 16 12:55:26 EDT 2022

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 11:26 AM Erik van Straten (Cryptography list)
<evs20200430f at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Apple just released IOS 16 which supports Passkeys, and I plan to write about their advantages and risks (on a Dutch web
> site). However, Passkeys use asymmetric key pairs that tend to be hard to explain.
>
> Note: I created a physical POC of such a "vault", and recently made some photos of it. Upon request I can send 9
> minimized photos (.zip of 350KB) to interested individuals - optionally attached to a subsequent mail to this list,
> provided that the moderators permit that.
>
> I hope that you understand the cutaway drawings (front view) displayed "inline" below, without the photos. If the
> figures below show up garbled in your mail program, you may want to copy this text and paste it into to a text editor
> that uses a monospaced font:
>
> .---------------------------------.
> |\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|
> |\\\.--------------------------.\\|
> |\\\|.-----------------------. |\\|
> |\\\||///////////////////////|I|\\|
> |\\\||///////////////////////|I|\\|
> |\|   ===========O===========|I|\\|

As sent this is hard to review.  The length and font issues get in the way.

The ASCII art really needs a monospaced font and pulling each out
to see them is less portable than one expects.   I had a boss that could
not cope with a text file that did not end in .txt.   The <CR><LF> differences
were beyond him.

Share the specific font with the reader.   All monospaced fonts are not equal.

Better yet draw the design on paper. like NATIONAL Computation Pad,
Plain on Front Side,
scan and include in a blog or HTML/pdf  document.
Even html has font issues with magical substitutions.

--

          T o m    M i t c h e l l  (on NiftyEgg[.]com )