[Cryptography] Passwords (Smallest feasible work factor today?)

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Thu Sep 15 05:42:44 EDT 2022

> The post-it notes all contain the same information: the master password.  The only reason to have more than one is for redundancy.  They are also metaphorical.  I don’t have actual post-it notes.  The physical details of how the master password is backed up is an essential part of the security.  What matters is that *I* know where it is, but no burglar would ever even suspect that there was anything of value there even if they were looking right at it.  It’s analogous to having a key storage box shaped like a rock, except that there is no actual key inside to tell a burglar they’ve found the right rock.  Steganography is very effective in the real world, especially against an adversary that has no reason to suspect that you’re using it (indeed, probably doesn’t even know what steganography is!)
Ahem.  You do realize that the entire world now knows that you use steganography?  You've created an elaborate procedure to protect against an obscure threat - how many times has a random burgler stolen password information?  You've made lack of knowledge a part of that elaborate procedure. And now ... you've removed that element.  Yes, you're just as secure as you ever were against a random burgler - me, to, because my passwords are not written down anywhere, even using steganography - but against a targeted attack by someone who knows what they are doing?  (Knowing what I now know, if I wanted your master password, the first thing I would do is secrete some cameras around your house and watch you carry out your procedure.)

                                                        -- Jerry