[Cryptography] Passwords (Smallest feasible work factor today?)

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Mon Sep 12 19:03:08 EDT 2022

On 9/8/22 18:17, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> I have over 500 stored passwords. What sort of cretin would imagine
> that I would possibly remember 500 different ones? Someone would have
> to be a special type of stupid with extra stupid sauce to believe
> anyone could do that.

I use a metal lockbox full of 3x5 cards as my password manager. And when
asked, I recommend it. The system architecture is visible, verifiable,
reliable, easy to understand and correctly operate, hard to remotely
subvert or hack, and easy to check with absolute confidence for malware
or spyware regardless of whether you trust the hardware manufacturer.
The security model does have one big hole if someone else gets their
hands on the box. But if someone has to resort to in-person burglary to
get at passwords - meaning personal attention for an individual target -
It's not compatible with the economic model of most people who'd be
after most passwords.

But recently I've felt the need of better; probably paranoia on my part
but I'm working on something that really and truly can't get out.

So for a few "special" passwords I invested the effort to make my "too
low tech to hack" approach one level harder, closing the "somebody gets
their hands on it" hole fairly tight; The passwords stored on my 3x5
cards in the metal lockbox for these "special" passwords are plaintext
that I pass through a pencil-and-paper encryption to get the actual
password.  And there are a few ordinary things I carry with me which I
use in combination as the key to that pencil-and-paper cipher.  But
nobody looking through my stuff would ever see a key there, nor know how
to combine these objects to make the key, nor know how to use it as a key.

So for most passwords, there's an annoying fifteen second lookup.  For
the "special" ones there's a fifteen-second lookup plus about a minute
and a half of hand encrypting to work out the real password.

This is annoying and high-effort compared to the neat package most
hardware password managers present.  But the electronic password manager
does not exist whose every hardware component is made by people whom I
implicitly trust or whose every circuit trace can be visually checked at
any time to make sure that it's exactly what it ought to be.  Nor does
the electronic password manager exist whose every line of code is
guaranteed not to be exploitable.

Seriously.  If you want password security, consider the metal box with a
lock.  It has virtues hard to match on most electronic platforms.

                 Bear