[Cryptography] Passwords (Smallest feasible work factor today?)

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 15:50:41 EDT 2022

 Bill Frantz wrote:

Heck, my wife had her iPhone locked up with the only option being a
complete wipe of the phone after too many “password” (i.e. 4 digit unlock
code) attempts. Apple froze her Apple ID account until the end of this
month since she didn’t know the password and couldn’t use 2 factor
authentication to reset it because the 2nd factor came in via the iPhone.
At the end of the month, we should be able to change the Apple ID password
and wipe the iPhone. This is what can happen when a user develops dementia.

I had similar experiences with my father as his dementia grew.

The way that dementia interferes with agency highlights an interesting
lacuna. Security is built on agency. The agency of people slowly losing
independence is murky. Murkiness and good security don't mix.