[Cryptography] Passwords (Smallest feasible work factor today?)

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn4242 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 23:32:07 EDT 2022

On Wed, Sep 07, 2022 at 11:20:34AM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> Every shortcut I might apply
> to memorize a password or passphrase is a shortcut that can be reduced to
> code and used in an attack. Expecting me to deliver a search space of more
> than 2^20 in my head is unreasonable and more than 2^40 delusional and I
> have to order hats online because my size is 8+.

What's the search space for first-letters-of-each-word-in-sentences?
E.g.,
  LOTR=fiNZ.Ifh,g,aagwct*R*
is the first letter of each word of
"Lord Of The Rings = filmed in New Zealand.  It features hobbits,
gandalf, and a golem who covets the *RING*".

Thats 25 characters long, chosen from an alphabet that's [a-zA-Z]
together with various non-alphabetic characters.

Google's top search result for "entropy per letter of English text"
just now is
  https://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/~wpenny/course/info.pdf
which suggests 4.11 bits/letter.  Using this here is surely an
underestimate -- it gives no credit at all for the entropy introduced
by upper/lower case and non-alphabetic characters.  (It also assumes
the overall English-language letter-frequency distribution rather than
the first-letters-of-words frequency distribution, but that's probably
a relatively small error.)

Nonetheless, this gives us a rough estimate of 25*4.11 = 103 bits.
I wouldn't trust this scheme to be quite that good (inter-word
correlations in the sentence will lower the entropy), but I suspect
that "first letters of each word in a fairly long sentence or two"
is probably good for > 80 bits.

> First up, we need a standards-based password vault that can be supported on
> every platform and every browser and allows the user to choose their
> password vault provider. Only when users know that they can access their
> password vault on every platform they might use can we expect them to start
> using strong, machine generated passwords.

+1.

First-letters-of-every-word-in-a-fairly-long-sentence-or-two seems to
me to be a reasonable candidate for the master password which unlocks
a password vault.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -color to reply]" <dr.j.thornburg at gmail-pink.com>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA