[Cryptography] Signal planning to support for plaintext SMS

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Oct 30 13:06:04 EDT 2022

It appears that John Denker via cryptography <jsd at av8n.com> said:
>If they think they can exert monopoly power and the network
>effect to shift more traffic onto the encrypted Signal
>channel, they are diametrically wrong about that. I betcha
>traffic will shift the other way.

I'm with you -- the app tells you what's Signal and what's SMS, and
makes it easy to send a note to SMS correspondents to encourage them
to switch to Signal. Maybe there are people too dim to tell the
difference, or who still get stuck with giant roaming SMS fees (while
somehow avoiding giant roaming data fees) but how likely are they to
use Signal?

If you want an messaging app that uses Signal's protocol and doesn't
handle SMS, you can talk to a lot more people with WhatsApp than with
Signal.

R's,
John