[Cryptography] phantom 3g service?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Oct 13 12:03:27 EDT 2022

So anyhow, since 3g service has been terminated in my area, I've kept my
old phone because it's still fairly useful as a wifi device.  Can't do
voice talk or SMS any more since I transferred my phone number, but it
still does everything else.

Thing is, sometimes when I'm walking around, it thinks it sees 3g
service.  And I airplane-mode the thing and stick it back in my pocket.

There are exactly zero carriers in this area who still provide 3g service.

Are these obsolete stingrays?  Scammers fishing for people who still
have old phones and now can't get legit service? Or something else?

Bear