[Cryptography] Signal planning no support for plaintext SMS

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Nov 10 17:09:21 EST 2022

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 11:18 AM Shironeko <shironeko at waifu.club> wrote:

> >> • For Messages in iCloud, if you have iCloud Backup turned on, your backup
> >> • includes a copy of the key protecting your messages. This ensures you can
> >> • recover your messages if you lose access to your Keychain and your trusted
> >> • devices. When you turn off iCloud Backup, a new key is generated on your device
> >> • to protect future messages and isn’t stored by Apple.
> > “iCloud Data Recovery Service
> > If you forget your password or device passcode, iCloud Data Recovery Service can
> > help you decrypt your data so you can regain access to your photos, notes,
> > documents, device backups, ...
> So you are saying it is self-contradictory? How can it “recover your messages if
> you lose access to your Keychain and your trusted devices” then.

It is interesting to have an iPhone, iPad and MACBook..
Messages are delivered to all three not exactly simultaneously.

This requires at least four keys or access to the shared key.   It is
interesting to see "new  device using your ID" messages after updates.
  I always keep an old iPhone alive as I can do many WiFi &
saved-to-device things (podcases- music) with it and not burn phone
service batteries, good for air travel..

Code books and pre-shared keywords  as in "Tora Tora Tora"  editors
can expand TTT to "Tora Tora Tora"
as can other simple transformations/translations.   programmers can
include homecode.h and
run  a message through sed and cpp.

The sloppy users will get caught.

--

          T o m    M i t c h e l l  (on NiftyEgg[.]com )