[Cryptography] Signal planning to drop support for plaintext SMS

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Wed Nov 2 20:31:32 EDT 2022

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 9:40 PM Rick Smith <me at cys.me> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2022, at 1:12 AM, William Allen Simpson <
> william.allen.simpson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > We're talking past each other.
>
> Correct.
>
> > This is a usability issue.
>
> I’d say it’s a threat issue. If you perceive no threat when plaintext
> resides on a third party server, then you are correct for that situation:
> it is entirely a usability issue.

OK so I am going backwards and forwards on this because I have this
end-to-end secure platform that was originally designed to support
end-to-end secure social media and a James Bond villain has just bought out
my favorite social media platform.

So of course, end-to-end secure EVERYTHING:

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-hallambaker-everything-00.html

But, but...

In order to build a user base, the application has to provide backwards
compatibility so people can use one app to interact with Mastodon, Twitter
and EVERYTHING. And that means that there will be encrypted and public
forums through one tool.

And even if it is just EVERYTHING, there will be completely public feeds on
it and so there will be red and black merged.

I am thinking that the more sustainable approach is one app for red and
black social media but with distinctive UI chrome to identify which mode
you are in. Something like the Black border for InPrivate window in
Edge/Chrome.