[Cryptography] Russian "ERA" cryptophone fiasco

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Thu Mar 31 19:34:13 EDT 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Frantz
Sent: Mar 31, 2022 2:27 PM
To: John Denker
Cc: Cryptography
Subject: Re: [Cryptography] Russian "ERA" cryptophone fiasco

On Mar 29, 2022, at 23:05, John Denker via cryptography  wrote:
Uhhhh, why do cleartext cellphones work if the towers are down? Atwhat point do we start to disbelieve what we are told about this? Andisn't it a bit odd and a bit unwise for people to brag about suchexploits before the war is over?

There have been some intercepts of HF Russian war radio traffic published https://www.russianwarchatter.info/#/submit>. These are being received by Software Defined Radio receivers available on the internet. Probably other receivers have been used as well. I think WWII vintage receivers might have worked nearly as well.

Cheers - Bill

I don't know anything about the Russian radios (freqs, encodings, etc.).

I DO recall being able to receive the old analog cellphones on my old analog TV on the UHF channels. This required NO hacking -- just persistence going through all the UHF channels that didn't have TV on them.

I do have a SDR radio receiver dongle, but it's located a bit far from Ukraine, and I don't speak either Russian or Ukraine.  The standard SDR components enable receiving AM & FM, and presumably SSB.  I also recall that some
of the original dialup modem protocols are supported.