[Cryptography] samizdat phone-to-phone ad-hoc anti-censorship

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sat Mar 5 13:48:38 EST 2022

On Fri, Mar 4, 2022 at 7:56 PM Mark Seiden <mis at seiden.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 4, 2022, at 5:23 PM, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Short version: What's the best way to set up a completely
> >> ad-hoc from-scratch communication network? ...
> >> Bluetooth file transfer is a known thing, implemented on
> >> Android OS, Fire OS, Windows OS, Mac OS, and Linux OS.
> > I seem to recall that this was done a number of years ago - perhaps in
> Iran.
> >

> bluetooth is such short range that the required density of equipment might
> not be supportable.
>
> it appears that there’s an wifi openwrt solution (which can run on many
> cheap wifi router platforms)
> https://libremesh.org/

Bluetooth has an advantage of being short range.
No physical USB device hand off.
An app that behaves like headphone connectivity  or a printer
could appear innocent to most.
iTunes local share or photo share.

This is tradecraft and like hand made RNG naive adventures are a big risk.

--

          T o m    M i t c h e l l