[Cryptography] Keccak-based AEAD cipher algorithm

Jacob Christian Munch-Andersen nohat at nohatcoder.dk
Tue Jul 26 16:23:32 EDT 2022

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022, at 11:47 AM, Stephan Mueller wrote:

> Using Keccak, a symmetric stream cipher algorithm using the authenticated
> encryption with additional data (AEAD) algorithm can be specified.

Before getting to an actual cryptographic review, there are a few structural issues that I think you need to fix.

First of all, why are there two almost identical algorithms? It doesn't seem like they serve different purposes or have significantly different trade-offs, so why wouldn't you just pick the one you think is best and forget about the other one?

Second, what functions do I actually need to call in order to use this? You have placed all the documentation inside code files, which is ugh. But more important, you have failed to provide a concise instruction, and some sample code is really a must-have. When I look at the header files there are a bunch of different functions, as best I can tell lc_cc_encrypt_oneshot and lc_cc_decrypt_oneshot are the sane choices, with everything else serving as footguns for those who are unaware.

Third, could you elaborate why one should choose this algorithm over competing ones? We already have plenty different to choose from, so a new one isn't worth much if it isn't better than the old ones in some way.