[Cryptography] pedagogical sources for TLS

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jan 14 07:55:26 EST 2022

Fredrik Strömberg via cryptography <cryptography at metzdowd.com> writes:

>On a more serious note, I second Kevin's recommendation of Security
>Engineering by Ross Anderson.
>
>For a quick and pedagogical intro I would go for Jeff Moser's article, or the
>second link below:

Another good book is "Network Security: Private Communication in a Public
World", which is a good learning text because it doesn't just dissect J.Random
protocol as a fait accompli but instead builds designs up in stages along the
lines of "here's a simple protocol to do X, here's why it doesn't work, here's
a possible modification, here's a problem with that, here's another attempt,
here's an issue with that one".  It's one of my favourite books on the topic
because of the approach it takes with building up the design, you need to know
why approach x-1 doesn't work before going on to x, not just get x+223
explained to you as it came fully formed from Zeus' skull [0].

Peter.

[0] Where "Zeus' skull" is an allegory for a program committee made up mostly
    of professional meeting-goers and vendor representatives creating a
    protocol whose birth throes make Zeus' headache seem minor in comparison.