[Cryptography] Interesting discussion of Web 3.0 ...

David Wong davidwong.crypto at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 20:06:41 EST 2022

> by Moxie Marlinspike.  Very brief summary:  dApps and NFT's are nowhere near what they claim to be (even if you actually want what they claim to be).  Good quote:  "I have only dipped my toe in the waters of web3. Looking at it through the lens of these small projects, though, I can easily see why so many people find the web3 ecosystem so neat. I don’t think it’s on a trajectory to deliver us from centralized platforms, I don’t think it will fundamentally change our relationship to technology, and I think the privacy story is already below par for the internet (which is a pretty low bar!), but I also understand why nerds like me are excited to build for it."
>
> I won't try a less-brief summary - the whole article is worth reading.
>
> https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html

I mostly agree with Moxie, but I think the future is less bland than that. It is possible to build so-called ultralight clients that can verify proofs along with responses from services like Infura. I wrote a light response here: https://www.cryptologie.net/article/548/in-response-to-moxies-doubts-on-web3-and-about-ultra-light-clients/ <https://www.cryptologie.net/article/548/in-response-to-moxies-doubts-on-web3-and-about-ultra-light-clients/>

David