[Cryptography] Any thoughts on Arqit ?

Michael Nelson nelson_mikel at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 19:38:22 EST 2022

Website:  https://arqit.uk
Someone asked me about this company. They seem to have made a pretty fancy Web site, claim to have some customers, and "a patent moat of 1,435 patent claims" (!).
He's interested in the "QuantumCloud" product. I could not find any concrete whitepaper or anything. There may be publications on the site or elsewhere, but I gave up after watching a video and poking a bit, and thought I'd ask you guys.

It seems to be about quantum key setup. Only symmetric keys are used as they are more resilient to quantum computing. Seems to include corporate/govt use, and consumer use. My guess is that the former has some quantum stuff at each endpoint, whereas the consumer application has an app on a conventional mobile phone, and the quantum stuff is done on a satellite.

I've no idea how they deal with authenticating the users, so that they know who they are talking to, the usual challenge of quantum key setup.

A few quotes:

"It creates unbreakable, trustless, one time symmetric encryption keys in infinite group keys and with infinite frequency of refresh."

"QuantumCloud puts a lightweight agent at any endpoint device. This software creates an unlimited number of symmetric keys with partner."

"impossible for this ... to be stolen and used ..."

Any thoughts on what they are doing?

Mike