[Cryptography] Interesting discussion of Web 3.0 ...

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 20:48:30 EST 2022

> I won't try a less-brief summary - the whole article is worth reading.

Another nice quote and a counterpoint enclosed below.

--Brad

> We’d all have our own web server with our own web site,
> our own mail server for our own email, our own finger server
> for our own status messages, our own chargen server for our
> own character generation. However – and I don’t think this can
> be emphasized enough – that is not what people want.
> People do not want to run their own servers.

Agree that the article is worth reading, but also emphasize that it
takes a side (mendaciously?).

Online bullying about "high school email addresses" (thanks!)
could be an effective tactic leading to desire for own "MX records".
Concede that most people don't want clandestine, to deal with
spammers, or worse, a hostile take over pro bitcoin mining.

The weakness (or deceit?) of the article is that it doesn't mention
computers as atoms... also called "next units of computing". Will
availability of small, cheap, heat-sinked blades drive innovation?

Everyone wants to be a scientist and a friend at once, so where is
the crowd-sourced outgrowth of Marc Stevens et al. for the purpose
of machine learning some new fact about boolean functions?

Re: Proof of Work. Yes, work must be proved, but not identical to one
wasteful task (cryptofascism?). Remember, waste lowers efficiency.

In principle, a rig of connected computer atoms (read: community server)
could mine any target agreed upon by democratic procedure.

That being said, there is a whole nother question if one can even
make friends. Some people really have difficulty with that part:

> There is a line from the poet Archilochus (700 BCE) ...
> "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

If you can't make friends, but you still want to do cryptography, it
sounds like there will be another option, but I am also skeptical
how business will actually work with identically "zero trust"...
The farthest I would ever go in practice is "epsilon trust".

Need more docs, education, and dare I even say this...
The return of locally owned ISPs?

0.02