[Cryptography] pedagogical sources for TLS

David Wong davidwong.crypto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 13:09:19 EST 2022

> Hi,
>
> How should new graduates start research on crypto protocols?
> RFC documents are very boring for new graduates or senior students.
> Let's firstly aim to understand Signal protocol. There is a 10 page nice paper published by WhatsApp. Very good for beginners.
> Next, lets aim to understand TLS. What is the easiest source? What is the most pedagogical document?
>
> The more general question is what is the learning pathway for new graduates to study on crypto protocols and their cryptanalysis.

If I may, I published two resources that might be helpful:

* https://davidwong.fr/tls13/ <https://davidwong.fr/tls13/> is a more readable version of the TLS specification (it's true that the format for RFCs is quite outdated), with some intro videos in major sections (although not all sections have videos, sorry about that...)
* https://www.manning.com/books/real-world-cryptography?a_aid=Realworldcrypto&a_bid=ad500e09 <https://www.manning.com/books/real-world-cryptography?a_aid=Realworldcrypto&a_bid=ad500e09> is a book I released a few months ago where I try to teach intuitions about cryptographic primitives (first part of the book) and protocols (second part of the book). In chapter 9 you can learn about TLS (and Noise), and in chapter 10 you can learn about Signal. I've done my best to explain these protocols in intuitive ways (and I created a lot of diagrams), so hopefully this is a helpful resource.

Cheers,
David