[Cryptography] Two quick questions about IPsec AH

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Jan 11 11:36:00 EST 2022

On 1/11/22 at 2:45 AM, kivinen at kivinen.iki.fi (Tero Kivinen) wrote:

>>So I rather doubt EH is used because I doubt any of the kludges were
>>implemented for anything besides ESP. And besides which, there is a null
>>cipher for testing and for environments where you want authentication but DO
>>NOT want encryption (this is very common in SCADA deployments and for
>>excellent reasons)
>
>ENCR_NULL is not only for testing, it is also in situations where you
>do not want to do encryption (for example if traffic is already
>encrypted, so there is no point of encrypting it second time), but do
>want to do integrity and authentication checking.

There are some places where secrecy may be a negative. One
example is that anything that goes over a amateur radio link.
Encryption for secrecy is specifically illegal in the US Federal
Communications Commission regulations. However, encryption for
authentication and integrity is specifically permitted, and
useful if the link is e.g. controlling a remote station.

Remote station control is similar to SCADA uses. With SCADA, it
may be very useful to have network monitors that can see the
commands and responses sent to the devices without being able to
send commands themselves. It may also be useful to have monitors
that don't need to be running during the key exchange protocols.
Network monitoring of non-secret data is an easy way to
accomplish these goals.

Otherwise, the system will need separate keys for secrecy and
for authentication/integrity, making the system more complex and
therefore probably less secure.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | When an old person dies, a   | Periwinkle
(408)348-7900      | library burns. - Joe McGawon | 150
Rivermead Rd #235
www.pwpconsult.com | Irish Ethnographer           |
Peterborough, NH 03458