[Cryptography] Name for a specific type of preimage resistance

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Dec 12 00:57:51 EST 2022

John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> writes:

>If I understand the question, a good answer might be /decryption/.
>
>If the preimage is unique, it isn't a hash so much as an encryption, and a
>preimage attack is a decryption attack.

Good point, but that's then muddying the waters a bit since encryption implies
a keyed function whereas a hash is quite different.  And since there's an
established set of names, "x preimage attack", I was going for something that
follows the pattern, e.g. the "singular preimage attack" from the previous
message.

Peter.