[Cryptography] Cryptographic signing of software is security theater

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Sun Dec 4 22:11:25 EST 2022

On 04/12/2022 00:01, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Ah yes, "we take security seriously", the thoughts and prayers of computer
> security.

There must by now be enough examples of completely defunct
companies who made such statements that someone could have
described what went happened on the inside before issuing
such a statement. I can't recall examples of such though,
so does anyone have some? (I'd be most interested in ones
where the "seriously" was demonstrably bogus of course as
that'd nicely confirm at least my suspicions:-)

Ta,
S.