[Cryptography] Factorable encryption

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Thu Aug 11 06:19:29 EDT 2022

> The recent discussion of "data in use" and how to protect it led me to some speculations.  I'd be curious if anyone has seen anything like it before, and whether any practical algorithms are known.
>
> The idea is to split a computation similarly to the way one splits a secret into shares....
> Isn't this just secure multiparty computation protocols (MPC)? See SPDZ as one example.
Good point.  Dining cryptographers and such.  Same idea viewed from a different angle:  As the participants wanting to do a computation without revealing their own information, as opposed to a third party sharing limited information with the participants to get a computation done.

I wasn't previously aware of SPDZ and related work - need to have a look at it. Thanks!
                                                        -- Jerry