[Cryptography] "Post-quantum encryption contender is taken out by single-core PC and 1 hour"

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Thu Aug 4 16:14:47 EDT 2022

> On Aug 2, 2022, at 15:57:56, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:
>
> Oops.  Looks as if we have a bunch more work to do....
>
> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/08/sike-once-a-post-quantum-encryption-contender-is-koed-in-nist-smackdown/ <https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/08/sike-once-a-post-quantum-encryption-contender-is-koed-in-nist-smackdown/>
I used to day, “Software is like wine. It’s better when aged a bit.” Perhaps this applies to crypto algorithms, particularly those using newish math.

When starting to use these algorithms, it might be a good idea to double “encrypt” with a well-tested algorithm which is attackable with quantum attacks. For key exchange algorithms, it might be sufficient to use both algorithms in parallel (to minimize round trips) and XOR the results.

Cheers - Bill