[Cryptography] End to End ideology is causing us to fail to meet real needs.

Ralf Senderek crypto at senderek.ie
Mon Apr 11 04:20:40 EDT 2022

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> It is the same in government. FOIA isn't just about external accountability, it is for internal accountability and
> continuity of government as well.
>
> It seems to me that we need to have a messaging infrastructure that meets these needs. Law Enforcement absolutely
> should be using E2E encrypted communications. But they should be using a system that provides for lawful access for
> the purpose of meeting FOIA requests, etc.

I suspect that you are about to introduce ADKs (Additional Decryption
Keys) as PGP has 25 years earlier. It might be prudent to review the
criticicm voiced at that time in order to avoid making the same mistakes.

E2E is deliberately private communication. There is no way for lawful
access. If you want accountability, E2E is gone for good.

--ralf