[Cryptography] Quantum computers and the Government

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Wed Sep 1 16:02:15 EDT 2021

Re: "It's sort of like asking in 1962 when commercial vendors
were just figuring out how to manufacture reliable individual
transistors whether a secret government lab had a 10,000 element
microprocessor chip. Not likely."

Or,

It's sort of like the Germans and Japanese asking in 1941 when
electromechanical encryption machines were just becoming
available whether a secret govt lab had an *electronic* code-
breaking computer. Not likely.  ;-)

---
The US got a pretty good 'wakeup call' with Sputnik, but that
was 64 years ago. We've developed quite a lot of flab and
arrogance in the interim. Haven't you noticed the relatively
small % of papers from the U.S. at Crypto conferences?

It will now take the better part of a decade before cutting edge
chips are made on U.S. soil again.

We're finally reaching the feature size where quantum effects
like 'quantum dots' can become ubiquitous.

Change is often discontinuous -- some bright student asks
Nature a 'stupid' question, and gets an unexpected "Yessiree!"