[Cryptography] quantum computers & crypto

cherry cherry at cpal.pw
Sun Oct 31 01:22:14 EDT 2021

On 10/30/21 3:03 PM, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> Everything we need to do to get ready to deploy post-QC encryption
> algorithms, is stuff that we arguably needed to do anyway.

Post QC encryption requires hash based signatures, which are enormous
and cost significant bandwidth, and hash based construction of shared
secrets, which costs seconds rather than a fraction of a millisecond.

Further, management of hash based secrets is more complicated than
management of asymmetric encryption secrets, which complex management
will inevitably leak through to the end user, and the end user will
screw up.

The only practical way for ordinary people to manage hash based
encryption will be to delegate their secrets management to big powerful
centralized organizations.