[Cryptography] quantum computers & crypto

cherry cherry at cpal.pw
Fri Oct 29 08:00:23 EDT 2021

On 10/28/21 2:18 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> I am not even sure the NIST competition is relevant either since even if
> we had an encryption algorithm, we still need the key infrastructure to
> support it. It doesn't look like we are getting a signature scheme out
> of that either.

We already have quantum resistant schemes for encryption and signatures,
not that we are likely to need them for centuries.

They take considerably more bandwidth and computational cost than their
elliptic curve equivalents.

Hashes are not susceptible to quantum methods, being inherently
dissipative, thus inherently classical.  You can do everything with
hashes, including ZkStarks, construction of shared secrets, and (rather
large) signatures.  We have a pile of solutions waiting for the problem.

> If someone gives me $5 mil a year for five years, I think I

Just go forth manufacturing fear, uncertainty, and doubt, and someone
will likely give you five million.  A lot of people have already got
that money to solve a nonexistent problem that has already been solved,
and as long as the money keeps coming, they will go on solving it.