[Cryptography] "push within the entire IT industry to, make everything "Web-centric"

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Oct 20 15:29:01 EDT 2021

On 2021-10-17 19:37:33 +0000 (+0000), Ray Dillinger wrote:
[...]
> At the risk of asking a dumb question, do we suppose there might
> be a market for "privacy appliances" or "secure appliances" which
> are 'smart' insofar as onboard intelligence can make them, but
> guaranteed not to send or receive messages over any computer
> networks in any way under any circumstances?
[...]

Maybe once the current chip shortage sorts itself out, but for the
moment the bespoke/boutique "privacy conscious" device makers are
waiting in line behind all the big contracts supplying hardware to
the 99.999% of the World who don't care if all the cereal suppliers
know what they ate for breakfast, or whether their government finds
out they've been watching subversive news programs.

I'm still waiting for a phone I pre-ordered two years ago with a
hard switch to disconnect the antenna and GPS. For well over a year
they've been sending messages about how they're hopeful they'll be
able to get enough parts to start filling orders. In the meantime,
I'm holding onto this decade-old flipfone I can still take the
battery out of whenever I'm not using it.
--
Jeremy Stanley