[Cryptography] Confidentiality and IoT (was: Old Let's Encrypt's Root Certificate expires...)

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Sat Oct 2 11:33:30 EDT 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: cryptography Jeremy Stanley
Sent: Friday, October 1, 2021 15:00
To: cryptography at metzdowd.com

>On 2021-10-01 14:22:01 -0400 (-0400), Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
 >[...]
 >> If all you want is confidentiality, unauthenticated ephemeral key
 >> exchange is sufficient to defeat passive attack which is more than
 >> sufficient to control my conversations with my house thermostats, etc.
 >[...]

 >Veering even farther off-topic, I don't really think confidentiality is
the problem with where IoT is going.

 [ ... ]

>People are concerned with the notion of criminals getting access to
poorly-secured IoT devices, but the joke's on them. The real criminals were
--

Yes, and with regard to prescribed healthcare devices, it is concerning how
these phone home, are now blue-toothed to phone apps, and are somehow

I'm also distressed by how health providers and some insurers are captivated
by snake-oil (bespoke) chart systems that exhibit serious faux privacy
safeguards to their patients/subscribers.  That a surgeon trusts the office
manager to have proper secure access to charts is not any reassurance for
me, who sees blatant sign-in bypasses.

Le sigh, expecting things to get worse before forced to get better.

 - Dennis