[Cryptography] quantum computers & crypto

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Sun Nov 7 20:36:27 EST 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: Of Peter Gutmann
Sent: Saturday, November 6, 2021 23:20
Subject: Re: [Cryptography] quantum computers & crypto

> Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> writes:

> >I believe it was Knuth who checked in something warning people to
> >'beware bugs in the above code; I have only proven it correct, not tested
it.'
> >People think of him as a theorist, but that single incident proves to
 > >me that he is also an engineer and craftsman who has dealt with the real
world.

 [ ... ]

Knuth is amazingly fastidious about attributions and sources, and it is
natural that he provides an accurate account of the situation as well as a
link to the full correspondence the statement was part of.

Find it here, <https://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/faq.html>,
scrolling to the last item on the page.