[Cryptography] quantum computers & crypto

cherry cherry at cpal.pw
Wed Nov 3 15:07:17 EDT 2021

On 11/2/21 3:40 PM, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> As I understand it there are reasons
> to believe most symmetric crypto that's safe from conventional attacks
> with key length N is equally safe from QC attacks with key length 2N.

since ChaCha and Salsa are based on irreversible operations, quantum
calculations just not work on them, and the same is doubtless true for
many other symmetric encryption protocols.  They should be completely
unaffected.

Some symmetric encryption algorithms will be affected.  I don't
understand AES well enough to say whether it will be affected or not.