[Cryptography] threat models, was quantum computers & crypto

cherry at cpal.pw cherry at cpal.pw
Wed Nov 3 14:56:02 EDT 2021

On 11/2/21 12:37 PM, John Levine wrote:
> Financiers predicted disaster when the Roosevent ended the US gold standard
> in 1933, which did not happen, and again in 1971 when Nixon ended even nominal
> gold convertibility, which didn't happen either.
>
> In the meantime, US GDP grew from inflation adjusted $0.82 trillion in 1933
> to $5.1 trillion in 1971 to $21 trillion now.  The US population has grown
> by about 2.6 since 1933, so divide and you can see how much richer we are now.

It is rather obvious that the inflation adjustment factor is cooked, and
over the last six months to a year, the cooking has radically worsened.

In the fifties, a working man could buy a car and a house in the suburbs
and support a stay at home wife and children.

Now?

Dual income, no kids, they live in a little box.  Kids look at the
lifestyles of their grandparents, and do not expect to have a similar
lifestyle.