[Cryptography] Anonymous rendezvous (was Business opportunities in crypto)

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Fri May 21 08:37:55 EDT 2021

Den fre 21 maj 2021 13:52jrzx <jrzx at protonmail.ch> skrev:

> On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 11:38 AM, Natanael <natanael.l at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > For something like Bluetooth where you're expected to be in physical
> > range to communicate (inherently limiting the signal/noise ratio and
> > thus reducing risk of message flooding by malicious parties), an
> effective
> > approach may be similar to what's been previously discussed where you
> > just attempt to decrypt all headers (may work well for something like
> > a laptop). Messages addressed to you would successfully decrypt.
> >
> > However, this is going to be energy inefficient for low power devices.
>
> I think you are grossly over estimating the power and computational
> requirements, with which modern public key systems based on variants
> of curve25519 are trivial.  The cost of transmitting and receiving
> data over wireless is going to be enormously higher than encrypting
> and decrypting it.

I'm aware the additional power usage on something like a laptop is merely
noise for a usecase like this.

But we also want to solve this problem for battery powered IoT devices and
more, even in crowded spaces. That's the edge case which sets the bar for
how efficient the algorithms must be, if you truly want this to be
universal.